[Qgis-developer] osgeo

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Fri Jul 6 13:00:52 PDT 2012

Hi

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Richard Duivenvoorde
<rdmailings at duif.net> wrote:
> On 07/06/2012 01:09 PM, Ramon Andiñach wrote:
>
>>> Also, why is the standalone preferred to the osgeo?

I and many others in bandwidth poor societies prefer the standalone
installer as it is a 'download once,  install many times *easily*'
solution. The last time we checked the download stats were skewed
heavily in favour of the standalone installer (somewhere in teh order
of 100:1 in favour of it IIRC).

Regards

Tim

>> My understanding is that it isn't.
>> It is "recommended for new users" because the installer behaves in the
>> usual windows manner. The osgeo installer behaves quite differently to that.
>

> Indeed I would think that the 'stand alone' installer is only for very new
> (windows) users who want to get their feet wet with QGIS. The OSGEO4W
> installer has some peculiarities, but actually creates a much better
> environment/experience I would say.
>
> To encourage QGIS users to use OSGEO4W installer instead we posted an
> osgeo4w story recently (dutch/english and you are free to sent me a
> translation or other input):
>
> http://www.qgis.nl/2012/06/20/qgis-installeren-via-osgeo4w/?lang=en
>
> I was hoping this is usefull for fresh Windows QGIS users :-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Duivenvoorde

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services