[Qgis-developer] What will be in QGIS 2.0

Alexander Bruy alexander.bruy at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 08:35:24 PDT 2012

Great list, it would be cool to get all this things in 2.0 (but not sure is this
possible with our limited resources)

2012/7/11 Tim Sutton <lists at linfiniti.com>:
> - GSOC project for on the fly feature generalization (also how is this going)
Going quite well, but there are some performance issues with large and
complex vectors. Most time consuming operation is topology analysis.
Simplification itself is relatively fast.

A working draft code available at here
https://github.com/Eugenpaul/Quantum-GIS/tree/simplification

> In terms of decrufting, it would be good to remove all the duplicated items:
>
> - twin labelling systems
> - unified add layer dialogs
> - twin symbology systems
> - about 15 ways to generate hillshades
> - too many toolbars / icons by default
> - remove all deprecated calls from the API
+1 for deduplication

> Are there any other things that folks would like to add to the
> discussion for the roadmap for version 2.0?

It would be nice to review current situation with providers and lots
of "add layer" buttons. Currently each provider creates own button
and panel becomes longer and longer. I remember, there are several
discussions on this topic and at least two solutions were proposed.

Another task — make all API functions available in Python and make
Python API more Pythonic. Also, mabe move to PySide or update
to PyQt API v2 (currently QGIS uses PyQt API v1).

2012/7/11 Nathan Woodrow <madmanwoo at gmail.com>:
> - More then one map canvas (this would require a lot of work I am
> thinking, as you also have to factor in a lot of UI reworks to handle
> more then one map canvas)
There is an old patch that adds tabs support to QGIS, but there is a lot
of work to be done on it.

--
Alexander Bruy