[Qgis-developer] What will be in QGIS 2.0

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 14:00:32 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Marco Hugentobler
<marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch> wrote:
>> - Threading branch and threaded data provider refactor (a long time
>> ago in GSOC project far away Martin Dobias got much of the ground work
>> in place but the delta between his branch and master is huge now)
>

> As you mention, a large part of the work is the data provider refactoring
> (implementing the iterator pattern for every provider).
> On the other hand, it is a task that can be parallelized. If each maintainer
> of a vector provider could implement that for his provider(s), that would
> make the whole process much easier. I'm available to change the WFS
> provider.
> What do others think?

Yeah, that could help the whole transition.

A really good thing prior to refactoring would be to prepare a bunch
of tests for data access: to check that nothing is broken in the
process. Checking providers like ogr, delimitedtext, gpx or spatialite
seems relatively easy, a problem will be with databases (e.g. mssql,
sqlanywhere) that not everyone is able (or wants) to run. However
those could be temporarily disabled until their maintainers do not
find time to update to the api changes.

There is also a need to look at data access to raster layers and
evaluate how much work would it be to make raster access thread-safe.

After fixing vector and raster access thread-safety there should be
nothing blocking us to re-introduce threaded rendering, woohoo :-)

Martin