[Qgis-developer] GGL2 - QGIS integration

Etienne Tourigny etourigny.dev at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 07:54:35 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 11:44 AM, Vincent Picavet
<vincent.ml at oslandia.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le mercredi 20 juin 2012 16:08:19, Etienne Tourigny a écrit :
>> In case of linux systems, I would think that most (if not all)
>> installations include java, so it's not that much of a requirement.
>> It might be more complicated in the case of windows and mac.
>
> That's really not the case as far as the linux systems I use are concerned...
> A java dependency for QGIS would really be a pain.

 I guess I meant most desktop systems, anyway it depends on the user.
 For example, linux mint 12 installs java by itself.

>> It would be interesting to have a separate qgis-framework package (or
>> similar name) that includes sextante and its dependencies and modules
>> like GGL.
>> That way you can install qgis without these requirements.
>
> In any case, you will not want to have a dependency between sextante and all
> of its modules.
> They are numerous, and growing. It should be the responsibility of the user to
> install the modules by itself to enable the sextante support with this module.
> Otherwise the next QGIS installer will be 1.5Gb and a nightmare to package.

I was referring to a catch-all package that would simplify
installations, although perhaps it's overdoing it.

And I meant this as an additional package (say qgis-framework) which
is separate from the main installer and has a few dependencies - each
of which is an individual package.
This probably makes more sense in linux (.deb/rpm/whatever) and
osgeo4w though. But it would come at a cost for the maintainters.

Cheers
Etienne