[Qgis-developer] Removing old labelling

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Tue Mar 6 08:23:34 EST 2012

Hi all

It would be good to have the choice between new and old engine, similar
as in the symbology tab, with the new one set as default (as many people
on the list suggest). With 2.0, the old engine could be removed. Maybe
some of the missing features will be there then. And if not, there is
still the possibility to consider some sort of old labelling
compatibility mode (one candidate position at the centerpoint of a feature).

Regards,
Marco

On 05.03.2012 05:11, Nathan Woodrow wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Any objections for removing the old labelling stuff?
>
> Is there anything the old one can do the new one can't?
>
> I'm finding users are getting confused that there are two
> different labelling engines and this is bad for user experience.  Also
> makes training hard as you have to tell people to ignore that part of
> the program when labelling is something everyone wants to do.
>
> If all +1s to the above.
>
> Should we make this change in upcoming 1.8?
>
> - Nathan

Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Sourcepole -  Linux&  Open Source Solutions
Churerstrasse 22, CH-8808 Pfäffikon SZ, Switzerland