[Qgis-developer] Plugins repository policy

kimaidou kimaidou at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 07:14:27 EST 2012

Hi all,

After some discussion in the irc #qgis and some thinking, I decided to
release only python code for lizmap, and not the WinSCP (opensource) exe
binary (portable version), as I wanted first. For 2 reasons :
* it increases the size of the plugin zip file
* including exe or windows binaries could "scare" users (or their
antivirus), even if the code is 100% GPL (no way for the users to check the
exe is the real one)
* it is useless for linux (lftp is used instead) and mac users (manual sync
must be done)

Now, I "ask" windows users to download and put WinScp portable version in
some folder and point this folder out within the ui.
In this case, it is a good compromise, as Lizmap plugin can be used only to
configure the web map and save this configuration by pushing the Save
button. Synchronisation can always be done manually with other external
tools or protocols (scp, dropbox, etc.).

So, +1 for not including external binaries in the plugin zip file.

Michael