[Qgis-developer] Scripting QGIS from the outside using Python

Nathan Woodrow madmanwoo at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 09:29:11 EDT 2012

Hi all,

This might be something simple.

What I'm looking for is a way to automate some processes using QGIS but not
via a plugin or having to load the QGIS GUI.

I have a project file that I have setup with a composer for printing to a
pdf and I need to be able to open the project using QGIS and print it from
inside a python script that does other non-qgis things.

Is it possible to:

   - Load QGIS from Python (well I know how to do this using
   QgsApplicaiton.Init())
   - Open the project file
   - Zoom to a location
   - Print the first composer to pdf
   - OR render out the map canvas to a image.

>From what I can see the only way is to create a new composer item and pass
it the composer node from the xml.

Is there any other way to do it apart from having to deal with the XML from
the project.

- Nathan