[Qgis-developer] Re: Scripting QGIS from the outside using Python

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 17:08:58 EDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 9:42 PM, Stefan Keller <sfkeller at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have no direct advice to you but a hint to the QGIS devs:
> What could we do that the C++ API is better covered by Python bindings?
> Would'nd it be wise to allow at least new code only being included in
> a stable QGIS version when there exists a corresponding Python bindig
> (.SIP file)?

Hi Stefan,

yes that sounds like a valid requirement for code that goes to qgis
core/gui/analysis libraries. For 2.0 we should probably apply some
guidelines for inclusion of new classes or significant extensions of
existing classes:
- API approved by at least one other developer
- covered with unit tests
- python bindings included
- updated developer docs (cookbook?) with some usage examples
If the tests would be written in Python then the tests would also
validate that python bindings are working...

Definitely something worth a discussion at the hackfest...

Martin