[Qgis-developer] RE: ECW!!!

MORREALE Jean Roc jr.morreale at enoreth.net
Thu Mar 22 17:14:02 EDT 2012

GDAL can use ecw's sdk 3.3 or 4, the standalone qgis version is built
against 3.3 which is an outdated piece of junk but is under a licence
that allows some kind of redistribution.

On the other side you've the free 4.x sdk which works better but is a
really pain to get and joined by an even more painful license. Or you
can buy it.

And then you also have to take in account that if you use their binaries
then you are not even garanted that your Windows desktops will accept
them without throwing up because of some dll/mvc++ mismatch.

My advice would be to ask the IGN to provide you the TIFF and then adapt
them to your taste, that's what we are doing here.