[Qgis-developer] RE: ECW!!!

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Sat Mar 24 10:13:04 EDT 2012

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 7:39 PM, Fred ETHEVE <fred.etheve at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> I do not understand your answer! In the French education, when the
> IGN(NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC INSTITUTE) gives us rasters of a department for
> training, they are in ECW (10 Go by department!) what makes 100 Go in TIF:
> it is uncontrolled!

 Are they expecting you to use commercial GIS? Certainly over here in
education (degree level) the vast majority of use of the word 'GIS'
means ESRI.

> I am not "protesting": I look for solutions for my students! :)
> Is it the image that you have French?

 Perhaps because I was born in the 60's - but then everyone was protesting then!

 Perhaps protest is too strong a word. The English attitude would be
too timid. "Excuse me, but if its not too much trouble, and really I
don't want to bother you, is there perhaps the slightest chance we
could get this data in some other file format? You know, one that we
might actually be able to read?" This is best read out in the voice of
actor Hugh Grant, who is the exact likeness in appearance and manner
of all Englishmen.

Barry