[Qgis-developer] Directions needed for GSOC Proposal

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Sun Mar 25 15:27:55 EDT 2012

Hi

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 7:57 PM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> Il 24/03/2012 18:50, aruntheguy at gmail.com ha scritto:
>
>> Which one is going to be adopted? And is the one that will be adopted ready to take
>> in a GSOC student and provide mentoring? While I have been  a self-learner for the
>> most part, its still a serious thing when we talk about code going live into the project.
>>
>> Or should I probably throw in the towel and pick up something like Symbology
>> improvements?
>
> I would vote for the Framework. About deciding which of the two, I think sextante
> should be more mature, therefore a better candidate, so:
> - please Victor share your feelings about that
> - what is the license of sextante?
> - did anybody have a look to the code? any opinion about ease of integration of
> additional backend, overall maintainability, etc?
> All the best.

I havent used either framework much but I would comment that for me
the 'winning' framework should have have an API that others can
programme against. Ultimately the python programmer using the QGIS api
should be able to not only do simple data loading, visualisation and
gui manipulation, but should also be able to use the rich analytical
tools coming into QGIS in new and creative ways. In practice this
would probably mean that the processing framework should not be a
plugin, but rather become part of core and part of the analysis api.
Martin had some interesting ideas about fusing python mode closely
into the desktop app so it may be possible that an all python approach
could be followed.

Just my 2c

Regards

Tim