[Qgis-developer] import proprietary code inside a python plugin

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 10:52:59 EDT 2012

Through the various considerations on this topic there are two positions
the seems contradictory to me:

"I did some research on this, and the conclusion is that import is
functionally and legally equivalent to linking during compilation, so
everything that imports qgis must be GPL." [1]

then

"you can import/link proprietary code into gpl code, provided you have a
license to do it."

They probably mean different things and they're not in contradiction. Being
an important point to me, could you help in understanding it?

thanks a lot,
Giovanni

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2012-March/018976.html
[2] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2012-March/019000.html