[Qgis-developer] import proprietary code inside a python plugin

Charlie Sharpsteen chuck at sharpsteen.net
Mon Mar 26 11:51:13 EDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 5:23 AM, G. Allegri <giohappy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would advise you to change your software to adopt a loose coupling
>> strategy
>>  between the qgis part and the esri part, either through web services,
>> data
>> exchange over a file or a database or something else not considered as a
>> link
>> in the GPL sense.
>>

> This is a solution that I have considered,  but it would require a lot of
> overhead to do data structure exchange (python objects). I will consider
> the way of cPickle or Google's protobuf.
>
> giovanni

Take a look at the IPython parallel infrastructure:

  http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/stable/parallel/index.html

Haven't used ArcPy, but if it is a simple matter of importing libraries
then you could fire up an IPcluster that makes the required imports. From
the QGIS side, generating tasks would be a matter of connecting to the
cluster and executing a function:

    from IPython.parallel import Client
    c = Client()

    c.apply_sync(<some function>)

IPython will handle all the pickling details for you.

-Charlie