[Qgis-developer] import proprietary code inside a python plugin

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Mar 26 11:54:30 EDT 2012

On 03/26/2012 05:18 AM, G. Allegri wrote:
> 2012/3/26 Carson Farmer <carson.farmer at gmail.com>
>
>> Keep in mind it is only a problem if you plan on distributing your
>> plugin... if it is just for internal use then I wouldn't worry about
>> it :-p
>>

> Well, it's for a customer, so it could be an issue...
> I totally respect the choice of the developers to use a GPL license, but I
> agree that an LGPL would cause lesser headaches to support
> interoperability...
>
> giovanni

That depends on how the contract was written then. If it's a work for
hire and you don't own the copyright to what you wrote but the customer
does than the GPL is only an issue if they distribute it beyond their
company.

I'm sure there's some other way to craft the whole setup, seems like a
gray area for the ecw, mrsid, oracle, mssql drivers being bridged by a
slightly different licensed piece sitting in between. Also see the
discussion on the processing framework with SEXTANTE that license
discussion appears different.

I admit a QGIS plugin that uses Arcpy sounds a little odd though...

Thanks,
Alex