[Qgis-developer] import proprietary code inside a python plugin

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 11:59:16 EDT 2012

2012/3/26 Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com>

> On 03/26/2012 05:18 AM, G. Allegri wrote:
> > 2012/3/26 Carson Farmer <carson.farmer at gmail.com>
> >
> >> Keep in mind it is only a problem if you plan on distributing your
> >> plugin... if it is just for internal use then I wouldn't worry about
> >> it :-p
> >>

> > Well, it's for a customer, so it could be an issue...
> > I totally respect the choice of the developers to use a GPL license, but
> > agree that an LGPL would cause lesser headaches to support
> > interoperability...
> >
> > giovanni
> >

> That depends on how the contract was written then. If it's a work for
> hire and you don't own the copyright to what you wrote but the customer
> does than the GPL is only an issue if they distribute it beyond their
> company.
>
> I'm sure there's some other way to craft the whole setup, seems like a
> gray area for the ecw, mrsid, oracle, mssql drivers being bridged by a
> slightly different licensed piece sitting in between. Also see the
> discussion on the processing framework with SEXTANTE that license
> discussion appears different.

Everything started from that. I understand it must me GPL, because it
depends on the QGis license. It follows that it won't be possible to
include proprietary algorithms within SEXTANTE, nor use it in non-free
software.

> I admit a QGIS plugin that uses Arcpy sounds a little odd though...

Yes, but it is focused on a specific interoperability task within a mixed
free-nonfree workflow.

giovanni