[Qgis-developer] Directions needed for GSOC Proposal

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Mar 26 15:40:39 EDT 2012

SEXTANTE just needs to be a GPL compatible license, it does not need to
be GPL itself, though the copy distributed with QGIS will be treated as
GPL. (In effect it ends up being like a dual license).

See the diagram on http://www.gnu.org/licenses/quick-guide-gplv3.html

I would recommend LGPL otherwise people writing the SEXTANTE plugin for
Arc might run into trouble. This would provide flexibility in what
applications can use the library (much the way gdal/ogr shows up
everywhere).

This is quite different than the other issue being discussed which is
the import of Arc into a QGIS plugin. To be clear yes people can do such
things, and could import proprietary applications into their plugins,
they just can't legally distribute it outside their company.

Thanks,
Alex