[Qgis-developer] Re: import proprietary code inside a python plugin

Paolo Corti pcorti at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 03:38:30 EDT 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 9:07 AM, G. Allegri <giohappy at gmail.com> wrote:
> I premit that I've already chosen a solution to bypass these issues: one,
> common library and two plugins, one for qgis and one for arcpy. The plugins
> will interact through pickling, sharing a common data structure from the
> common library. This is the easiest solution for me to deploy (no servers as
> with iPython or RabbitMQ).

Hi Giovanni
as others suggested, you can not use arcpy for
writing a QGIS plugin, if you are willing to deploy it as open source
(ie it is not for your company internal use). QGIS plugins must be
released as GPL.
Are you considering to release your solution for the community? If not
- as I think - you do not need to bother ;)

> fTool + GDAL python bindings + ECW

same here, if you are willing to open your code to the community.
For the same reason GDAL packages are not built with ecw support (same
for file gdb, arcsde ecc ecc), but you must compile it for yourself if
you need it.

ciao

Paolo Corti
Geospatial software developer