[Qgis-developer] Re: Working on Symbology Improvement for the GSOC

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 18:01:56 EDT 2012

Hi Arunmozhi!

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 6:41 PM, aruntheguy at gmail.com
<aruntheguy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been going through the ideas in the ideas page and the feature
> tickets dealing with the symbology and think I can work in that area. Since
> both of you have proposed (and improved) that idea, I am writing to ask if I
> can go on with the idea for the proposal.

Sure, you are welcome to pick that idea for a proposal.

> I have already written C++ code for QGIS and hence have a general
> understanding of how the code has to be written, however I must admit, I
> have no experience on the symbology front, but would start reading the code.
> With your mentoring I think I can accomplish what you have in mind.

Therefore I would recommend you to play a bit with QGIS new symbology
from user's point of view - with renderers, symbols, symbol layers,
styles. That should give you an idea of the current state of vector
symbology - from there you could proceed with writing a proposal,
stating more precisely what things would you like to improve.

And remember that what is in the wiki page is just a bunch of ideas -
you are free to use those or come up with different ones! As you
already mentioned, the bug tracking system is also a valuable source
of ideas. Good luck with your proposal and if you have any
questions/ideas do not hesitate to write to qgis-dev list.

Regards
Martin