[Qgis-user] Re: [Qgis-developer] Oracle Spatial Driver

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Fri Mar 30 07:18:49 EDT 2012

Hi

 >This would provide a benefit also to the other sw using GDAL/OGR, and
would solve the problem of the license (I suppose)

Technically, I think it is better to write a native driver, because
- the OGR model is not 100% identical with the QGIS one. E.g. one table
can contain multiple geometry types, OGR has datasource/layer model, ...
(probably more that I don't recall now). Providing a proper mapping
between OGR model and QGIS model requires more effort than a native driver
- more direct geometry transfer with native driver, thus better
performance (with OGR driver, geometry is converted into OGR geometry first)

Regards,
Marco

On 30.03.2012 11:49, G. Allegri wrote:
> What about moving the founding to improve the Oracle driver inside GDAL?
> The OCI driver would need some refactoring, as it was stated time ago
> by Frank.
>
> This would provide a benefit also to the other sw using GDAL/OGR, and
> would solve the problem of the license (I suppose)
>
> giovanni
>
> 2012/3/30 haubourg <regis.haubourg at eau-adour-garonne.fr
> <mailto:regis.haubourg at eau-adour-garonne.fr>>
>
>     Hi All,
>     very interested in such a feature too!
>
>     If you do it, don't forget to offer an access to attribute tables
>     (non SDO
>     ones) . many users just open a geographical table and a attribute
>     table, and
>     join them to map datas..
>
>     Régis
>
>     --

Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Sourcepole -  Linux&  Open Source Solutions
Churerstrasse 22, CH-8808 Pfäffikon SZ, Switzerland