[Qgis-developer] [hackfest] documentation tasks

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Fri Mar 30 17:02:01 EDT 2012

Hi

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 7:14 PM, Paolo Corti <pcorti at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, March 30, 2012, Yves Jacolin <yjacolin at free.fr> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> For the hackfest, any plans to work on the documentation? We don't need to
>> translate so I am wondering if there are other tasks that we (francophone
>> community) could work on.
>>
>> Jean-Roc, Otto, Vincent, others: any idea?
>
> Hi Yves
> A couple of days ago I started a wiki page, linked from the main HF page,
> with a skeleton of some of the task we could do.
> I was thinking to add more details, so we could discuss here about it

>> I would like.
>
> to think a little bit about this

Yes if (when!) we move to gettext I'm afraid it will be quite a job in
the beginning for translators to migrate their content (you can do it
comfortably using QtLinguist from that point on though which is nice.

Also I would really like to see some consolidation of the various
docs, work on our own custom sphinx theme (would be a nice job for
html wizards) - I already made a simple QGIS one but there are lots of
features needed to replicate the output of the LaTeX manual as closely
as possible. Also migrating the t2t documentation to sphinx would be
nice.

I also wanted to raise the idea of moving all the context help stuff
into sphinx and away from the current 'loose files' system  - I used
this approach on a different plugin and it worked *really* nicely, its
much simpler for translators and the context help and the user docs
can be much more closely intertwined.

So heaps to do and lots of it needs no coding...

Regards

Tim

> --
> Paolo Corti