[Qgis-developer] Re: Working on Symbology Improvement for the GSOC

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Sat Mar 31 16:58:30 EDT 2012

Hi,

I think improving the symbology system would be very rewarding and
beneficial for many - but be sure to discuss the technical issues with
Martin and Marco. They probably know the system best.

Work on the SVG symbol repository and better management of the SVG
symbols (categories, metadata (also multilingual), ability to pick only
groups that interest the user (e.g. only geology, geomorphology), etc.)
would be great and benefitial to many. By default there should be fewer
SVG symbols but the repository should allow to easily add additional ones.

Other improvements I would like to see:

* ability to separately define opacity for stroke and for fill (e.g.
fill is transparent and stroke is not)
* ability to define separate units for each symbol component: e.g. the
size of the symbol (e.g. elliptical symbol) should be in map units, but
the stroke thickness in mm

Regarding the many nested dialogues:

I think there is a technical reason why there are so many nested
dialogues - it is because of the reuse of the dialogues in different
situations. As an example, a dialogue setting SVG symbols can be reused
for point symbols, but also for marker lines - or a color chooser can be
used in many situations. Also fill and stroke properties are reused in
different renderers.

I agree that from a usability point of the view the many nested
dialogues are not so optimal, but I remember hearing from Martin Dobias
that this way the whole system was easier to maintain and dialogues more
reusable.

Thanks,
Andreas