[Qgis-developer] plans to integrate terrain analysis tools? (was: Fwd: gdaldem plugin versus raster terrain modelling plugin)

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Fri May 4 01:52:04 PDT 2012

Hi Maning

The discussion is open. I'm of course biased towards the raster terrain
plugin (and plan to support it also in the future).

The raster terrain plugin has some new functions in 1.8:
- hillshade
- relief creation algorithm (see
http://www.sourcepole.com/2012/1/16/shaded-relief-maps-with-qgis)
- z factor (to handle lat/long datasources)

Planned in future is the possibility to give output options (e.g.
compression).

Regards,
Marco

Am 04.05.2012 10:26, schrieb maning sambale:
> Dear devs,
>
> What are the immediate plans to integrate terrain/dem tools?
> Currently we have several terrain tools available (Raster Terrain
> Modelling plugin, GdalTools, GRASS, Sextante).
> I am currently preparing a howto on terrain analysis for newbies and I
> am evaluating which of the above plugin to introduce.  Perhaps if
> there are plans to integrate, I might as well introduce them to the
> plugin the will eventually "survive" the integration.
>
> Thanks!

Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Sourcepole -  Linux&  Open Source Solutions