[Qgis-developer] Editing rst files

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Sat May 5 17:03:41 PDT 2012

Hi Paolo,

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM, cavallini at faunalia.it <
cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:

> Cool! So perhaps we could edit the manual directly from qgis, perhaps
> adding screenshots on the fly, etv?

Yes you could do that, though the plugin doesn't necessarily browse the
user's whole filesystem, just selected places relative to plugin
development [0]. However, on Unix boxes you can just symbolically link in
whatever you like. The browser has a QFileSystemModel backend.

For a large .rst project like the QGIS manual, it may not be much different
than using a separate text editor. Having Plugin Editor embedded
(installed) in QGIS offers the advantages of consistency of interface/tools
and portability, useful for new plugin developers and teaching/seminar
environments. There are many clever things you can do with it, but if you
are already an experienced developer, you may find its features only
occasionally useful compared with your current workflow.

[0] http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4058089/qgis/plugin_editor-browser.png

---
> http://faunalia.it/pc
> Sent from mobile, sorry for being short