[Qgis-developer] Re: show grid on map canvas (similiar to grid used in composer) - strategy?

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Mon May 14 10:48:35 PDT 2012

Hi John,

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 5:43 AM, John Donovan <mersey.viking at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 13 May 2012 22:49, Etienne Tourigny <etourigny.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Basically I think there could be 2 concurrent and complementary ways
> > to implement grids:
> >
> > 1) basic grid in core, similar to what is already in the composer map
> > (and in my branch)
> > 2) more refined grid(s) as plugin/vector layers, whose rendering order
> > can be fine-tuned
>
> Nice work Etienne! Over the weekend, I've knocked up a little plugin
> of the second type - a plugin layer that uses the new symbology
> system.
>
> It's marked as experimental, and there are a few things on the TODO
> list, but it can be found in my plugin repo:
> http://109.123.122.13/qgis/plugins.xml
>
> One of the todo's is saving the styling information - I can't find
> where I can get the XML of the symbol for my writeXml() function. Any
> ideas?

I tried your Grid Overlay plugin and this is what I found.

Same error as Etienne reported:

Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/home/tourigny/.qgis/python/
plugins/grid_overlay/gridpluginlayer.py",
line 63, in draw
   self.symbol.renderPolyline(polyline, renderContext)

it also occurs when I cancel the dialog. The plugin layer is made
regardless of cancelling dialog on initial plugin launch.

When I click the 'Set Style...' button I get this error:

 Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"/Users/larrys/.qgis/python/plugins/grid_overlay/gridpropertiesdialog.py",
line 42, in chooseStyle
    self, False)
TypeError: QgsSymbolV2SelectorDialog(QgsSymbolV2, QgsStyleV2,
QgsVectorLayer, QWidget parent=None, bool embedded=False): argument 3 has
unexpected type 'GridPropertiesDialog'

Is that not implemented yet?

I noticed in your metadata.txt and __init__.py you assigned the Layers
category, but the action doesn't show up there. Does it need to use the
following to be added to/removed from the Layer menu? (worked when I edited
gridoverlay.py):

self.iface.insertAddLayerAction(self.action_newGrid)
self.iface.removeAddLayerAction(self.action_newGrid)

Tested with QGIS 1.8 rev.69ef4de on Mac 10.6.8.

Looking forward to using your plugin on the current map I am working with.

Regards,

Larry Shaffer
Dakota Cartography
Black Hills, South Dakota