[Qgis-developer] Re: show grid on map canvas (similiar to grid used in composer) - strategy?

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Mon May 14 14:32:37 PDT 2012

Hi John,

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 1:36 PM, John Donovan <mersey.viking at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Larry and Etienne,
> Thanks for being brave!
>
> On 14 May 2012 18:48, Larry Shaffer <larrys at dakotacarto.com> wrote:
> >
> > I tried your Grid Overlay plugin and this is what I found.
> >
> > Same error as Etienne reported:
> >

> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >  File "/home/tourigny/.qgis/python/
> > plugins/grid_overlay/gridpluginlayer.py",
> > line 63, in draw
> >    self.symbol.renderPolyline(polyline, renderContext)
>
> That's odd, I'm using 1.7.4 and Python 2.7.2, but I can't imagine the
> API to have changed. It runs fine on both my Linux and Windows boxes.
> Looking at the C++ docs, indeed RenderPolyline() takes a QgsFeature as
> the second parameter, so I'm not sure why it should work for me!

1.7.4 method:
QgsLineSymbolV2.renderPolyline(QPolygonF, QgsRenderContext, int layer=-1,
bool selected=False)

1.8 method:

QgsLineSymbolV2.renderPolyline(QPolygonF, QgsFeature, QgsRenderContext, int
layer=-1, bool selected=False)

> > When I click the 'Set Style...' button I get this error:
> >
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File
> >
> "/Users/larrys/.qgis/python/plugins/grid_overlay/gridpropertiesdialog.py",
> > line 42, in chooseStyle
> >     self, False)
> > TypeError: QgsSymbolV2SelectorDialog(QgsSymbolV2, QgsStyleV2,
> > QgsVectorLayer, QWidget parent=None, bool embedded=False): argument 3 has
> > unexpected type 'GridPropertiesDialog'
> >

> > Is that not implemented yet?
>
> Another odd one. GridPropertiesDialog, the class in which this
> function is defined, is inherited from QtGui.QDialog, so should make a
> valid parent to the symbol selector dialog. I've set it to None on my
> machine with no ill effects.

1.7.4 method:
QgsSymbolV2SelectorDialog(QgsSymbolV2, QgsStyleV2, QWidget parent=None,
bool embedded=False)

1.8 method:

QgsSymbolV2SelectorDialog(QgsSymbolV2, QgsStyleV2, QgsVectorLayer, QWidget
parent=None, bool embedded=False)

I can't even find this method in the current API docs. Just referenced in
the error dialog, and last seen in the 1.7.4 API docs.

Didn't see these documented in the API changes part of the wiki [0]. Maybe
there is a different, or more up-to-date, listing somewhere.

I tested your plugin with 1.7.4-4 on Mac 10.6.8 and it works fine. One
suggestion: maybe allow the rotation for be about a chosen point, instead
of only SE corner?

[0] http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/17/API_changes_for_version_20

Regards,

Larry Shaffer