[Qgis-developer] Vector Layer Generalization

Carson Farmer carson.farmer at gmail.com
Fri May 25 15:11:07 PDT 2012

Excellent! Topology preserving simplification is something I've been
looking for!
> But I want to ask your advice on one thing. Is it normal for user
> to simplify all the features on a layer at once? I'm just not sure
> which way is more suitable for a regular user:
> - simplify all the features at once as it is now in my current prototype;
> - simplify selected feature and all the corresponding vertexes of
> the neighboring features;
> - or simplify only selected features;
> - or even something else.
> Although it is not very important for current work, I want to make sure
> I don't implement useless functionality.
Personally, I normally simplify an entire layer at once... for mapping
purposes, or simply to reduce drawing time or for computational/space
efficiency. It might be nice to also have the option to simplify
selected features only, but if this was an option, then I would expect
*only* those selected features to be simplified... and *not* their
neighbouring features...

That's my two cents anyway, looking forward to trying it out!

Carson

--
Dr. Carson J. Q. Farmer
Centre for GeoInformatics (CGI)