[Qgis-developer] Vector Layer Generalization

Evgeniy Pashentsev ugnpaul at gmail.com
Fri May 25 15:01:51 PDT 2012

Hello!

I've done some work to understand QGIS tools development.
Also some topology preserving simplification code has been
written. When i get it to work, I'll make a branch and post a link
to it. Hopefully, I will manage to do this by the end of this weekend.
If you want to see my reports you can visit [0] for some general
info and [1] for more detailed weekly reports.

But I want to ask your advice on one thing. Is it normal for user
to simplify all the features on a layer at once? I'm just not sure
which way is more suitable for a regular user:
- simplify all the features at once as it is now in my current prototype;
- simplify selected feature and all the corresponding vertexes of
the neighboring features;
- or simplify only selected features;
- or even something else.
Although it is not very important for current work, I want to make sure
I don't implement useless functionality.

Thank you.

[0]:
http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/GSOC_2012_Vector_Layer_Generalization
[1]: