[Qgis-developer] Get rid of Shapefiles ! Go GeoJSON !

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Nov 27 00:42:58 PST 2012

 hm - I am not sure if loose data types are really an advantage. I like
 the more stricter handling of PostgreSQL better where you can constraint
 the data the user enters by stricter data types. In SQLite you can store
 all sort of unexpected crap into the fields. I know, you could do check
 constraints in SQLite, but it requires more work.

 So to me personally, looser data types are a disadvantage. There is a
 reason why 90% of all databases have stricter data types.

 Andreas

 On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 00:34:32 -0800 (PST), haubourg wrote:
> Stefan Keller wrote
>> SQlite (Spatialite) is a database with data types which are as loose
>> as they can get!
>> What do you mean by saying Spatialite is more restrictive (than
>> shp/dbase data types)?
>>
>> Stefan
>
> You are right, I didn't check well enough. Data types are loose. One
> more
> reason to go to spatialite.
> Thanks for correcting me.
> http://www.sqlite.org/datatype3.html