[Qgis-developer] more advanced editing tools

Ramon Andiñach custard at westnet.com.au
Fri Nov 30 07:00:37 PST 2012

On 30/11/2012, at 15:38 , Bernhard Ströbl wrote:

>> The simplest snapping approach I've seen is a keyboard shortcut (S), and then watch as the programme tries to snap to anything in sight (not so good if you have many layers).
>
> not neccessarily because you can define your snap layers and snapping should only occur with one of those (though if you choose to snap to segments there would be an abundance of potential snap points)
>>
>> But, I wonder, would it be possible to pop the snapping menu out into a panel (or similar) so that when you're furiously digitising it was easily accessible?
>
> I think this would smoothen the workflow. We could file a ticket for this. I my case I have many line and point layers to which I can snap but I have to scroll a lot to get to a certain polygon layer that I want to tick for "avoid intersections". Maybe we could have another column in the snapping options dialog with the geometry type in it so we could sort on that to have all polygon layers together?

As usual with QGIS, I think wouldn't that be cool and lo, it's already there.

It appears that you can leave the snapping dialogue open, go do some editing and come back change your snapping. So it is effectively already a panel.

Well, I failed to guess that, although the apply button should have been a hint. Just as well I had a decent rummage in the issues db before filing! #5152 linking to #660 was a good hint :)

-ramon.