[Qgis-developer] Announcing ENKI (Was: Hydrological toolbox)

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Tue Oct 2 08:05:22 PDT 2012

Il 02/10/2012 17:02, Sjur Kolberg ha scritto:
> Paolo,
>
> Sure QGIS could do the visualisation, probably even by function calls with data in memory, not having to export GIS data sets to disk for every time step.
>
> But Statkraft released ENKI under LGPL for a reason. Linking ENKI too closely with GPL QGIS will make ENKI unavailable for the commercial software sector. That would be bad news for the hydropower industry I hope will continue supporting ENKI development. From what I see now, there will still be a need to maintain ENKI as a standalone program, in addition to making the EnkiAPI core available for a QGIS plugin.

I understand this very well, and that's where sextante comes in handy: no linking
there, it's just python (sextante) calling the executable.
So, no prolem in keeping it LGPL.
Of course, if one needs an LGPL or proprietary visualizator, that's a different
story, but should be mainly a packaging problem (keeping the GUI and the backend
separated).
Hope this helps.
--
Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia