[Qgis-developer] License Summary

Victor Olaya volayaf at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 07:00:17 PDT 2012

>> I don't see why sextante in qgis has to change from MIT to GPL, does
>> it really have to?
>> No, it does not have to, from a legal point of view.
>>
> I do not think it has changed: java and python versions have no code in
> common, so the author simply chose a different licence.
> All the best.

Just to make clear. I prefer the MIT license in the case of the Java
version, as it is meant to be used in many different apps (it is a
library). I the python case, it is just a QGIS plugin, so I do not see
much difference and i am happy with GPL as well. I think is a better
idea, so as to have a homogeneous licensing across QGIS code.