[Qgis-developer] QGis 1.9 gdal.h not found

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Oct 10 10:55:54 PDT 2012

On 10/10/2012 06:42 AM, Justin Hubbard wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am brand new to the QGIS and Linux developer world.
> I have built QGIS from source and all has gone well.
>
> I have also been following Tim Sutton's tutorials on this development, and
> while attempting to add a raster layer (tutorial
> 4<http://blog.qgis.org/node/94>)
> but am getting a strange error when compiling.
> The qgsRasterLayer class
> #include "gdal.h" which now gives me a file not found error.
>
> I am sure that I am doing something wrong as I know that I have gdal 1.9.0
> installed in the default path, and that the QGIS build found it without
> problems.
> Could someone please point me in the right direction.

What version of linux are you on?

In order to compile you need to have the -dev version of various
packages (aka the source code of those packages). So you're probably
missing libgdal-dev

On Debian/Ubuntu the following will auto install what's needed for you:
sudo apt-get build-dep qgis

Though I thought the build would fail if you were missing those.

Enjoy,
Alex