[Qgis-developer] [Qgis-user] Using/visualizing 3D data (Z values)

Vincent Picavet vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Wed Oct 17 08:28:19 PDT 2012

Hi all,

Le mardi 25 septembre 2012 15:47:14, Etienne Tourigny a écrit :
> reviving this old thread because I'm interested in using the z-value
> (elevation) from kml files (type wkbMultiLineString25D) in a qgis plugin.
>
> Are there any plans to introduce z-value (25D) support in 2.0?

We at Oslandia are working on 3D processing in databases and visualization.

We have an early piece of code opening a 3D vector layer in QGIS and feeding
it to QGIS Globe. This works with real 3D objects loaded from database, and
should work with 2.5D (x, y, z) shapefiles too theoritically.

We have to get it in a better shape before starting to provide pull requests
on this, but you should see this coming in a couple of months.

Then this will open a whole new range of needs with 3D data, but one step
after the other...

Vincent