[Qgis-developer] Saving expressions

Nathan Woodrow madmanwoo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 17:16:56 PDT 2012

Saving with the layer isn't really that complicated as we already do
it for the qml files so the code is already all there just needs to be
tweaked for expressions.  Although I do see project based and
application wide expressions to be of more use then per-layer.

I'm really not a big fan of those back and forward buttons.  My idea
is to have a save button with three options:

Save as
- Application favourite
- Project favourite
- File

All just save out a key value pair of name : expression. The
application one is stored in the QSettings for QGIS, the project one
in the project file, and the File one writes a file out with name :
expression in the file.

When you open the expression builder it will load all the name and
expressions from QSettings and show them in the tree on the left in a
node called: Favourite Expressions (App wide).  It will then read the
project file and do the same but put them under: Favourite Expressions
(Project).  After that the user can then load an expression from the
file using the Load button much like the new Python console.

This way a user can open the expression builder and pick a saved
expression by name and it will be loaded into the expression text
area. When the user single clicks on the named expression the
expression text will be show in the help section on the right so that
the user can see what it is without loading it.

- Nathan