[Qgis-developer] User profiles

Nathan Woodrow madmanwoo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 02:03:21 PDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> wouldn't it be better to add this to the browser, instead of having (one
> more) double solution?

While it sounds like a good idea I think the browser falls short on a
few usability issues that I think having a separate diolog for would
resolve.

      - No sorting (how would you sort a tree of items?)
      - expanding a item with a large count of subitems now means I
have to scroll up and down to find other folders/connections
      - Limited room in the UI
      - Tree views become a pain to use if they become to large

I like the browser dock as a quick shortcut to load layers but I don't
think it should replace a good open layer dialog.  The open layer
dialog that I did a mockup of does use a tree view but it's only for
the top level items like connections and the layers are shown in the
right hand side.

- Nathan