[Qgis-developer] Qgis Server and Python. Which solutions to have a python API?

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 02:18:44 PDT 2012

I'm working on a project to port qgis-web-client under Django, witht the
aim to build a Qgis Server web based manager and extended service provider.
We've already implemented a basic structure, with a proxy (a Django view)
to intercept the calls to qgis_mapserv.fcgi, and a view/template to expose
the qgis-web-min.

We would like to work as we used to do with Mapserver mapscript, to be able
to have full control of the requests/responses flow, e.g. to implement
authentication on specific services, requests and layers. We also would
like to manage project options inside Django models. All these kind of
things would be easy to implement if there were some kind of python
bindings for Qgis Server. (PS: in this moment we do it controlling the
query variables passed to the fcgi and filtering the fcgi requests....)

I see that qgis_mapserv.fcgi's code is statically linked in a monolithic
fcgi executable, so it isn't possible to offer specific functionalities
(e.g. project parsing) to external libs. To expose classes and methods we
would need a version of qgis server's code made by dynamic libraries. Would
it be possible?
Otherwise, which solutions would you suggest to build a Qgis Server Python
API?

I premit that we're considering to sponsor its development.

Have a nice weekend,
Giovanni