[Qgis-developer] Qgis Server and Python. Which solutions to have a python API?

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Sun Sep 9 14:40:15 PDT 2012

Hi

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 11:18 AM, G. Allegri <giohappy at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm working on a project to port qgis-web-client under Django, witht the aim
> to build a Qgis Server web based manager and extended service provider.
> We've already implemented a basic structure, with a proxy (a Django view) to
> intercept the calls to qgis_mapserv.fcgi, and a view/template to expose the
> qgis-web-min.
>
> We would like to work as we used to do with Mapserver mapscript, to be able
> to have full control of the requests/responses flow, e.g. to implement
> authentication on specific services, requests and layers. We also would like
> to manage project options inside Django models. All these kind of things
> would be easy to implement if there were some kind of python bindings for
> Qgis Server. (PS: in this moment we do it controlling the query variables
> passed to the fcgi and filtering the fcgi requests....)
>
> I see that qgis_mapserv.fcgi's code is statically linked in a monolithic
> fcgi executable, so it isn't possible to offer specific functionalities
> (e.g. project parsing) to external libs. To expose classes and methods we
> would need a version of qgis server's code made by dynamic libraries. Would
> it be possible?
> Otherwise, which solutions would you suggest to build a Qgis Server Python
> API?
>
> I premit that we're considering to sponsor its development.

Wonderful what client side libs are you using? ext3 still? I'm a
django + jquery fan and would love to see something along the lines of
what you describe built on that stack.

Note also that LizMap have AFAIK implemented a similar system (proxied
access to QGIS Server with a custom web client) but in php, maybe
there are ideas that can be lifted from their code.

Regards

Tim

> Have a nice weekend,
> Giovanni