[Qgis-developer] Qgis Server and Python. Which solutions to have a python API?

kimaidou kimaidou at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 04:56:33 PDT 2012

2012/9/10 G. Allegri <giohappy at gmail.com>

> 2012/9/10 kimaidou <kimaidou at gmail.com>
>
>> Hi Giovanni,
>>
>> * The print service will be supported in the next version. Not yet to
>> follow the "release often" mantra
>>

> Do you have a schedule for the next version?

Not yet, no. We will release V2 today or tomorrow. We have no schedule yet
for the next one..

>> * We think rights management must be kept simple for users. This is why
>> we choose deliberately to manage rights per repositories and not per
>> project nor layers. We think it is very easy to set up several dedicated
>> projects with Qgis to fit the need to protect some layers. One simple
>> project a.qgs for readers with layer A and B and this configuration,
>> another mrpresident.qgs for the big boss with all the secret layers and all
>> the zoom available, etc.
>>

> We also thought it but it requires to propagate project and layers
> settings to the various projects, A change in one project requires to
> manually do the same on the others... Ok, not so bad for two or three
> projects, but very time consuming if you have multiple roles = multiple
> projects.
> Anyway, I agree with you, it's times simpler to implement ;)

We totally agree. It depends of the number of projects and roles to deal
with. What could be great in Qgis : be able to set a "master" project file
(with all layers and configurations), and have a tool (or natively in Qgis)
to create "child" projects based one this master one. I am not speaking
about copy/paste as some of the already existed python plugins do. I am
thinking about kind of a dynamic link between master and children.
Would it be possible in Qgis XML project file to dynamically load external
resources on demand ? I am thinking about the way we can import a CSS file
into another, etc.

>> * Why not though add in the future the possibility to manage permissions
>> on request type (getCapabilities, getMap, getFeatureInfo, etc.).
>>

> Ok.
> Our goals are very similar. We will think on it...

Great to chat about these subjects with you !