[Qgis-developer] [Qgis-community-team] Web infrastructure

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Sep 10 23:17:18 PDT 2012

On 09/10/2012 12:51 AM, Tim Sutton wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 9:48 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
>> Hi all.
>> I'm noticing frequent downs in our infrastructure (now it's hub.qgis.org, the other
>> day was qgis.org, etc.). I feel we're having more traffic, and our current structure
>> is overstretched. Where can we find server stats to check this?
>> In any case, I think we should make our infrastructure stronger: opinion, suggestions?
>> All the best.
>
> This is what I would like to do:
>
> - migrate QGIS.org web site to rst so that we can a) host it on
> gh-pages b) make it translatable more easily c) ease the load on the
> server
> - host downloads on gh
> - use QGIS.org only for hosting django and doing builds
>
> An alterior motive is that we will have a single platform for *all
> documentation* in QGIS and that we can use git as a content management
> and versioning system for our web site.
>
> Regards
>
> Tim

http://webextra.osgeo.osuosl.org/munin/osgeo.org/qgis.osgeo.org.html

It seems to be a memory leak of some sort. Some speculate that it might
be ruby that runs hub.qgis. I actually think finding a new home for the
nightly builds would free up plenty of resources for the web needs, our
web server is not miniscule (2 cores, 4 GB of ram). You can also notice
from the charts that the issue came up several times over a couple of
days and then has not shown up for 5 days at all.

I agree with the moving to rst but would prefer to continue to host it
using Sphinx to build the docs (obviously the files can live in git to
get the benefits that Tim mentions). To me this is more flexible and we
can install caching software. This is the same route Mapserver went a
couple of years ago, and the same setup we use for osgeo-live.

As for downloads, we've always had downloads.osgeo.org available and can
use that at any time. For osgeo-live we actually pushed our downloads to
sourceforge recently to get 20 mirrors world-wide. If we really need
more capacity I can offer university based servers (no $ for bandwidth,
in addition to OSUOSL which is our current host and also at a univ).

Basically I like github but cautious about using it for everything.
Enough files and it will start costing $ to keep it up.

Thanks,
Alex