[Qgis-developer] [Qgis-community-team] Web infrastructure

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Mon Sep 10 23:29:19 PDT 2012

Hi

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 8:17 AM, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:
> On 09/10/2012 12:51 AM, Tim Sutton wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 9:48 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
>>> Hi all.
>>> I'm noticing frequent downs in our infrastructure (now it's hub.qgis.org, the other
>>> day was qgis.org, etc.). I feel we're having more traffic, and our current structure
>>> is overstretched. Where can we find server stats to check this?
>>> In any case, I think we should make our infrastructure stronger: opinion, suggestions?
>>> All the best.
>>
>> This is what I would like to do:
>>
>> - migrate QGIS.org web site to rst so that we can a) host it on
>> gh-pages b) make it translatable more easily c) ease the load on the
>> server
>> - host downloads on gh
>> - use QGIS.org only for hosting django and doing builds
>>
>> An alterior motive is that we will have a single platform for *all
>> documentation* in QGIS and that we can use git as a content management
>> and versioning system for our web site.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Tim
>>

> http://webextra.osgeo.osuosl.org/munin/osgeo.org/qgis.osgeo.org.html
>
> It seems to be a memory leak of some sort. Some speculate that it might
> be ruby that runs hub.qgis. I actually think finding a new home for the
> nightly builds would free up plenty of resources for the web needs, our
> web server is not miniscule (2 cores, 4 GB of ram). You can also notice
> from the charts that the issue came up several times over a couple of
> days and then has not shown up for 5 days at all.

Can you clarify - are you suggesting that the build processing itself
should be moved or the hosting of the built packages?

> I agree with the moving to rst but would prefer to continue to host it
> using Sphinx to build the docs (obviously the files can live in git to
> get the benefits that Tim mentions). To me this is more flexible and we
> can install caching software. This is the same route Mapserver went a
> couple of years ago, and the same setup we use for osgeo-live.

Sorry I was unclear - the plan is already to use sphinx.

> As for downloads, we've always had downloads.osgeo.org available and can
> use that at any time. For osgeo-live we actually pushed our downloads to
> sourceforge recently to get 20 mirrors world-wide. If we really need
> more capacity I can offer university based servers (no $ for bandwidth,
> in addition to OSUOSL which is our current host and also at a univ).

Ok good to know.

> Basically I like github but cautious about using it for everything.
> Enough files and it will start costing $ to keep it up.

Oh - I thought it was all free for FOSS projects? My main interest is
to consolidate our infrastructure - it has too many moving parts and
not enough grease monkeys to keep the cogs oiled....

Regards

Tim

> Thanks,
> Alex