[Qgis-developer] Any suggestions for GRASS Addons and QGIS integration?

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Tue Sep 11 23:51:17 PDT 2012

Il 12/09/2012 00:13, Enrico Gallo ha scritto:

> different powerful tools are available from GRASS GIS AddOns for GRASS GIS [1];
> source code and windows binaries are provided from difference web
> resources [2] [3].
>
> So, which could be the best strategy in order to integrate some of
> these tools in QGIS and redistribute them?
> I have few ideas (add them to GRASS Plugin creating new qgm files, add
> the to GRASS thought Sextante plugin) and many doubts about an easy
> installation and upgrade procedure, so suggestions are welcome

Hi Enrico,
I see two issues here:
- how to distribute GRASS addons (this is out of scope in this list)
- (in QGIS) how to check for the presence of GRASS addons, and add the relevant menus.
For the second problem, I see two approaches:
- add the menus anyway, and add a mechanism to show them only when the module is
available on the system
- add the menu as an additional step in the installation procedure.
The second approach is therefore an issue for packagers only, it is cleaner, and does
not look too complicated.
All the best, and thanks.
--
Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia