[Qgis-developer] Any suggestions for GRASS Addons and QGIS integration?

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 00:14:46 PDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> Il 12/09/2012 00:13, Enrico Gallo ha scritto:
>
>> different powerful tools are available from GRASS GIS AddOns for GRASS GIS [1];
>> source code and windows binaries are provided from difference web
>> resources [2] [3].
>>
>> So, which could be the best strategy in order to integrate some of
>> these tools in QGIS and redistribute them?
>> I have few ideas (add them to GRASS Plugin creating new qgm files, add
>> the to GRASS thought Sextante plugin) and many doubts about an easy
>> installation and upgrade procedure, so suggestions are welcome
>
> Hi Enrico,
> I see two issues here:
> - how to distribute GRASS addons (this is out of scope in this list)

Exactly, this must be done by user using GRASS g.extension or
installing by hand. We cannot take responsibility of it. As
g.extension manual says "... obtaining successful behavior on all
platforms is rather tricky"

> - (in QGIS) how to check for the presence of GRASS addons, and add the relevant menus.
> For the second problem, I see two approaches:
> - add the menus anyway, and add a mechanism to show them only when the module is
> available on the system
> - add the menu as an additional step in the installation procedure.
> The second approach is therefore an issue for packagers only, it is cleaner, and does
> not look too complicated.

There is really a lot of addons, it seems impossible to maintain up to
date qgm for all of them. It may also happen that user writes his own
addon and wants to add it to QGIS GUI.

I would suggest to add a possibility to autogenerate GUI from module
description with all module options on the fly.

Radim