[Qgis-developer] Nightly builds of master branch for Mac

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Wed Sep 12 16:06:42 PDT 2012

Hi William,

There is a new build uploaded [0], which incorporates your
suggestions. Turns out there seems to be ever more files left over
after running the new tests, so I had to add git clean and reset
commands to the build script to clear the working tree so pulls
wouldn't fail. That auto-build script is available here [1]; any input
on its functionality is welcome.

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 9:23 AM, William Kyngesburye
<woklist at kyngchaos.com> wrote:
> Good to see a Mac developer that's not lazy like me to make regular dev packages.  A couple notes - I've found that the package ID should be changed, otherwise if someone installs the stable package it will probably overwrite the dev version (or simple destroy it).
>
> I never set up a script to do this, just changed it manually when I create a dev package.  the Info.plist should be changed:
>
>         <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
>         <string>org.qgis.qgis-dev</string>
>
> The OS X installer looks at the bundle ID and updates/removes old copies with the same ID, even if the name is different.  Changing it solves that problem.
>
> Also, renaming the dev app would be good, so it can be easily installed alongside the release version.  Maybe something like QGIS 2.0-dev.app, or put the revision or date in there also.
>
> You could set up a cmake command to do this in a user bundling script, defined with QGIS_MACAPP_BUNDLE_USER.

Good points, thanks. I've modified the build script to change the
CFBundleIdentifier value and set the name to 'QGIS 2.0-dev.app' as per
your suggestions. The short git sha hash is already part of the name
for the embedded DMG, and shown in the running app. The app's version
when viewed in Get Info looks a little verbose, but that's just
cosmetic.

The nightly build should now run fine from /Applications, alongside
your stable version; though, the app can now run from anywhere,
including directly from the DMG. I saw in your Read Me.rtf the
following note:

'Note that QGIS.app MUST be installed in /Applications and must not be
renamed for pyuic4 to work (it has a hardcoded path in it).'

I've replaced the hardcoded path in pyuic4 with this, which works well:

exec pythonw2.7 "$(/usr/bin/dirname
"$0")/../../Resources/python/PyQt4/uic/pyuic.py" ${1+"$@"}

I've also done this in mac/cmake/1qt.cmake.in, for regular builds
(tested). If you don't see an issue with that edit, I'll push it to
master. Do you foresee any other problems running the dev builds from
within the opened DMGs (works fine for me, now) or from anywhere else
that's not /Applications?

On another note, Salvatore Larosa's new Python Console (now in core)
uses the QScintilla2 module/lib (see build script for how I currently
include it, after install). Installing QScintilla2 and its Python
module should be added to the Mac build notes (I can do that); and, to
the CMake finds (maybe as FindQsci.cmake) and Mac bundling CMake setup
(basically similar to how PyQwt was handled). I can do this as well,
unless you have time help with it.

I think, once FindQsci.cmake is set up, adding QScintilla2 support
directly to QGIS for C++ usage should be pretty quick, though nothing
in C++ currently uses the Qsci widget... yet. Would work well for
displaying/editing the new Python project macros done by Giuseppe
Sucameli.

[0] http://qgis.dakotacarto.com/nightly/qgis-mac-nightly.zip
[1] https://gist.github.com/024c98d41607b19bd8fd

Regards,