[Qgis-developer] Nightly builds of master branch for Mac

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Sep 12 16:56:50 PDT 2012

On Sep 12, 2012, at 6:06 PM, Larry Shaffer wrote:

> Good points, thanks. I've modified the build script to change the
> CFBundleIdentifier value and set the name to 'QGIS 2.0-dev.app' as per
> your suggestions. The short git sha hash is already part of the name
> for the embedded DMG, and shown in the running app. The app's version
> when viewed in Get Info looks a little verbose, but that's just
> cosmetic.
>
> The nightly build should now run fine from /Applications, alongside
> your stable version; though, the app can now run from anywhere,
> including directly from the DMG. I saw in your Read Me.rtf the
> following note:
>
> 'Note that QGIS.app MUST be installed in /Applications and must not be
> renamed for pyuic4 to work (it has a hardcoded path in it).'
>
> I've replaced the hardcoded path in pyuic4 with this, which works well:
>
> exec pythonw2.7 "$(/usr/bin/dirname
> "$0")/../../Resources/python/PyQt4/uic/pyuic.py" ${1+"$@"}
>
> I've also done this in mac/cmake/1qt.cmake.in, for regular builds
> (tested). If you don't see an issue with that edit, I'll push it to
> master. Do you foresee any other problems running the dev builds from
> within the opened DMGs (works fine for me, now) or from anywhere else
> that's not /Applications?

Ah, cool advanced shell stuff - if it works, I don't see any problem including it in master.

One advantage I can see by installing it somewhere is that the Python files can be compiled after installation (I do that in my installers).  Otherwise, from the DMG, python files will be compiled every time they're loaded (I don't really know how much time compilation takes in execution).

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"History is an illusion caused by the passage of time, and time is an illusion caused by the passage of history."

- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy