[Qgis-developer] A perfect day to write a new test!

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Fri Sep 21 07:03:51 PDT 2012

Hi all, today is a great day to add a new test to QGIS. I had a few
offline queries, so I thought I would mention more publicly, that our
first goal for python tests is to get one test class per Qgs class
made available through the QGIS API. You don't need to test all of
that class, just constructing and destroying an instance would be a
good start. The idea is that we build a framework that is a 'jump in
point' for anyone adding a test so that we can eventually work towards
(mandating?) a workflow like this:

* make some cool new addition to an existing QGIS class
* expose it via sip python bindings
* write a test by simply adding a new test case to an existing python unit test
* run your test and verify that it passes
* send a pull request or push your work

Put more simply, I am aiming for breadth in API coverage first, then
depth. That we we can at least know when we do a release that every
single class exposed by the API exists and is usable at its most basic
level.

I am writing some new tests today too, though they probably wont make
it into master today as I am working on a forked copy of QGIS, but it
would be awesome to get any new contributed tests that others may have
inclination to write!

Happy Test Friday!

Regards

Tim