[Qgis-developer] Expressions in print composer

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Tue Sep 25 10:03:34 PDT 2012

Hi Hugo,

You may want to consider this proposed implementation for expression-based
tokens for use in composer labels (and maybe elsewhere in QGIS):

http://hub.qgis.org/issues/6269

I don't think any coding has been done, just the GUI mockups I did. I'm
happy to help out with coding that approach.

Regards,

Larry

On Tuesday, September 25, 2012, Marco Hugentobler wrote:

> Hi Hugo
>
> Having expression support in QgsComposerLabel will be a great thing (and
> backwards support for $CURRENT_DATE should be no big deal I guess).
>
> Note that I have a new composer item in the pipeline with support for rich
> text formating and with support for multiple frames. It will be nice to
> have expression support also there, hopefully we can look at it in Essen.
>
> Regards,
> Marco
>
> On 25.09.2012 11:55, Hugo Mercier wrote:
>
>> Hi Andreas,
>>
>> Thanks for your feedback.
>>
>> Le 25/09/2012 11:13, Andreas Neumann a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi Hugo,
>>>
>>> I am open to replacements of $CURRENT_DATE(). We'd need to make sure,
>>> however, that the new proposal of [% $now %] would also allow a way to
>>> set the date format, e.g. german date, french date, english date or some
>>> specific user defined format.
>>>

>> Functions like day(), month() and so on are good candidates.
>> However, it misses some kinds of formatting (month and day in letters for
>> instance).
>> So a new conversion function may be needed, something like dateformat(
>> $now, "ddd MMM yyyy").
>>
>>  Is your proposed change in line with what other text replacements of the
>>> new expression builder do, e.g. in the label placement?
>>>

>> It uses the same mechanism as the one used for actions on layers for
>> instance or for HTML annotations on the main canvas.
>>
>>  Would the label in print composer gain a new GUI that would allow the
>>> user to specify an expression?
>>>

>> Ideally yes.
>>

>>> How about backwards compatibility of $CURRENT_DATE() ? Although it
>>> wasn't well documented, I taught a lot of people about using
>>> $CURRENT_DATE() - would the old syntax still work with the new proposal?
>>>

>> Ok, that was the main point of my email. To keep or not to keep backward
>> compatibility.
>>
>> Judging by the first remarks, I am going to keep the backward
>> compatibility and add this dateformat() equivalent if I have time to.

Larry Shaffer
Dakota Cartography
Black Hills, South Dakota