[Qgis-developer] Is Offset Curve supposed to work with polygons?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Apr 10 10:11:26 PDT 2013

On 04/04/2013 02:17 PM, Anita Graser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just noticed that with todays nightly, Offset Curve is greyed out for
> polygon layers. I have some screenshots from maybe two days ago where
> the tool was active (though I didn't test its functionality back then).
>
> Could someone please confirm what should be the correct behavior of this
> tool?
>
> Thanks and best wishes,
> Anita

Without being super familiar with the code, just the concept Offset
Curve with a polygon makes no sense unless the goal is simply to shift a
copy of the polygon in one direction. In which case you'd need the user
to tell you the direction since a polygon has an edge in all directions.

The polygon equivalent is a one sided buffer to the outside or the inside.

Thanks,
Alex