[Qgis-developer] Is there anybody interested whether QGIS 2.0 will support non-Latin1 Shapefiles?

Borys Jurgiel lists at borysjurgiel.pl
Mon Apr 22 14:29:20 PDT 2013

Hi,

Thanks to all for the feedback :) I'm really not very familar with all the OGR
encoding stuff. I applied my pull request [1] to allow wider testing.

Many thanks to Minoru Akagi for two other patches. One of them is applied[2],
the second not, because my patch covers this isue too. Your patch [3] was
safer, as it just reset LDID to 0 on save, but I believe we should go on and
use the encoding declaration. A big difference I see in our approaches is I set
ENCODING to encoding name, while you you use "LDID/0". I guess the "LDID/"
prefix tells OGR to use LDID instead of CPG? I think if we should use it for
encodings supported by LDID, but I guess it's not worth of the additional
work, unless some other important software prefers LDID over CPG.

I also added Shift-JIS to the Shapefile Encoding Fixer plugin. Please let me
know if any of you needs (or just knows) another important encodings.

Still there are two urgent problems:
- the "System" encoding has to be replaced with the proper value
- unit tests are still missing

And one longterm:
- after iconv conversion tio UTF-8 the layer doesn't remember the source
encoding, so it's impossible to preserve it e.g when saving from Table
Manager.

Maybe someone wants to take one of the remaining issues?

[1] https://github.com/qgis/Quantum-
GIS/commit/c0551a68c250489955c9831f5714f187df087d83

[2] http://hub.qgis.org/issues/7647

[3] http://hub.qgis.org/attachments/4749/qgsogrprovider3.patch