[Qgis-developer] Is there anybody interested whether QGIS 2.0 will support non-Latin1 Shapefiles?

Minoru Akagi akaginch at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 02:18:33 PDT 2013

Hi Borys,

I agree to specify the ENCODING option. LDID/87 does not have definite
meaning (depending on the environment), so avoiding to write shapefile
with the value would be nice. If the output encoding is UTF-8,
QGIS/OGR will generate cpg file that contains "UTF-8". This behavior
must be ideal. In case of the other encoding, even if there is a
problem with the content of a cpg file (e.g. use in another
application. I am not much sure about cpg file), the user will be able
to fix it easily.

Similarly, how about specifying the ENCODING when creating new
shapefile (in createEmptyDataSource())?

> And one longterm:
> - after iconv conversion tio UTF-8 the layer doesn't remember the source
> encoding, so it's impossible to preserve it e.g when saving from Table
> Manager.

In QgsVectorFileWriter, how about always using SHAPE_ENCODING="" ? It
will solve the problem and never make any encoding conversion failure
with current encoding listbox.

> I also added Shift-JIS to the Shapefile Encoding Fixer plugin. Please let me
> know if any of you needs (or just knows) another important encodings.

Thank you for your work on the plugin.

Regards,
Minoru Akagi