[Qgis-developer] Chopped labels

Alexander Bruy alexander.bruy at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 00:29:52 PDT 2013

Hi all.

I think many of us used labels to style maps and know that currently
QGIS chopped-off labels near map boundaries. This issue already
mentioned in your roadmap in wiki [0]: "Add option to have boundaries of map canvas's current extent act as obstacles to labels".

We (me and my colleague) tried to fix this issue. Our patch simply
test labels for intersection with current extent and drops any
items that not completely within extent. Also added UI for controlling this behavior. Code can be found at GitHub [1]

We tested it with our data and seems all works fine. Only one thing
is missed now — support in QGIS mapserver.

I already talked about this issue and patch with Larry, but want to put it for wider discussion. Any opinions? Should we accept this
patch or it is better to wait for 2.1, or maybe look for completely
different solution?

[0] http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/New_Labeling_changes_and_roadmap#Placement-options
[1] https://github.com/yellow-sky/Quantum-GIS/commits/show_partial_labels

Thanks